South India exudes a culture that makes it stand out from the rest of India. Temple architectures, historical ruins, breathtaking hill stations, sun-kissed beaches are only a part of the beauty of South India. Explore a potpourri of strong traditions, geographical splendor, fascinating forms of performing arts and a combination of flavor packed menu that will tickle your palette.
For travelers who step down from the north of India to the land below the Vindhya hills, South India casts a charm that would leave anyone hypnotized. Holding a millennium old history in her laps and singing songs of rich culture and traditional values, south India is the right destination that brings awe and wonder to anyone who laid eyes upon her.
When you continue your journey from Kerala to discover the other parts of South India that covers Goa, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Lakshadweep and the Islands of Andaman and Nicobar, you will find even nature’s mood seems to change from excitement to serenity, from mellifluous to vitality. Inspired by the Dravidian culture the South of India is a haven of architectural monuments, temples, rich heritage and varied scenic beauty. On your drive from one region to another, the virgin land may seem placid. But the treat the peninsular region holds is a surprise worth waiting for.
Travel to South India with India Via Kerala – South India Travel Agent specialized in tailor-made South India holidays and luxury South India Tours. Contact one of our India Travel Specialists to design a tailor-made holiday to South India.
Highlights of South India
- Spectacular temple towns of Kancheepuram, Madurai, Tanjore and Trichy in the state of Tamil Nadu
- Great shore temple of Mahabhalipuram in Tamil Nadu
- Pondicherry, often described as a sleepy French town retains a distinct gallic flavor.
- Brihadeeshwara Temple in Thanjavur or Tanjore is a monumental granite temple, the finest example of Chola architecture, is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Ooty, officially known as Udhagamandalam; this queen of Hill Stations was originally inhabited by Todas. Visit the Toda tribal village in the Nilgiris
- Nilgiri Hill Train journey between Mettupalayam to Ooty is scenic trip with views of Nilgiri Valley at one side and the hills on the other side. The Nilgiri Mountain Railway toy train is the highlight of a visit to the hill settlement of Ooty, in India's southern state of Tamil Nadu.
- Madurai, one of South India’s great temple towns is synonymous with the celebrated Sri Meenakshi Temple.
- Visit Karaikudi or Chettinadu to experience the vibrant Chettinad culture, architecture, food and the rustic village life experience.
- Heritage walks through the ruins of Hampi is an ideal way to get a feel of the glories of the Vijayanagaa Empire.
- Picturesquely situated at the mouth of a ravine between two rocky hills, the exquisite sculptures and the rust red sandstone cliffs of Badami tell many a tale of yore.
- With its beautifully chiseled temples, Aihole & Pattadakal – the world heritage site on the banks of Malaprabha River, bears testimony to the richness of Chalukyan architecture.
- Visit Belur & Halebidu, renowned for its intricately carved magnificient Hoysala Temples.
- Explore the environs of Nagarhole National Park, astonishing abundance of wildlife, especially the Asiatic Elephants.
- Sravanbelgola is home to Asia’s largest monolithic statue of Lord Gomateshwara, looming atop the picturesque Vindhyagiri Hill.
- Mysore Palace, built in Indo-Saracenic style, the palace is a treasure house of exquisite carvings and works of art from all over the world.
- Goa’s splendid beaches stretch over 106 km, from Querim in the north to Mobor in the south.
- South Goa has some of the most pristine and secluded beaches in Goa. Palole, Agonda, Cola and Varca beach are some of the most popular beaches in South Goa.